Simple Download Monitor problems

Started by pepak, November 04, 2009, 11:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djrichiep

I was able to successfully install and configure SDMON with no problems. And, this plugin is something I would dearly love to have working on my site to gather stats for me. However, after installing, I began to get complaints from readers of incomplete downloads. I provide large rar archive files to my readers in sizes ranging from 100-500mb. Files would download and would finish as complete but, when trying to extract the archive an error would come up that the file wasn't complete. I had numerous complaints from readers with the same issue. Since SDMON was the last plugin I had loaded to my site, I disabled it and removed the reference for it from the .htaccess file. Upon doing so, the problem went away.  After reading here, I am using WP Super Cache, a possible conflict?  Although, my downloads folder isn't technically part of the Wordpress installation.  Should I try disabling WP Super Cache?   Are there any additional parameters I can add in .htaccess or in the SDM settings to keep this issue from happening? I would love to be able to re-activate this plugin as it is exactly what I was looking for to monitor downloads. Thanks

pepak

Quote from: djrichiep on May 16, 2012, 04:38:52 PMAfter reading here, I am using WP Super Cache, a possible conflict?
It is possible, but it doesn't sound very likely. I would think the SDMon's download-resuming code to be more likely a culprit. It might be a good idea to try some downloads with a regular browser, not a download manager, and check whether the completed downloads (those which downloaded without having to resume) unpack correctly. Also, a comparison of a downloaded file to the original file would be a good source of info.

QuoteAre there any additional parameters I can add in .htaccess or in the SDM settings to keep this issue from happening? I would love to be able to re-activate this plugin as it is exactly what I was looking for to monitor downloads. Thanks
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to disable the support for download resuming and see what happens.

One user proposed a change which might also help in this situation, but I have been very busy since then and unable to implement it to my satisfaction. I should be more free in a month or so, and plan to look into it then.

Floris

Hi,

First, thanks for creating such a handy plugin :)

I have been using it for some months now and it worked perfectly, until a few days a go (September 9th).. It just stopped counting. Now, I am no WP wizard, just a graphic designer (I have somebody to handle my technical wp things for me), but I am curious if there are any known issues which could have caused this.

Cheers,
Floris

pepak

None that I am aware of. The date it stopped working for you is close enough to the date a new version of the plugin was released, but I have not received another complaint yet, so presumably this might really be coincidental. You might try the previous version of SDMon just to be certain, though.

Rony

Hi and thank you for the plugin.
Is there a way to show the file download count to visitors?

Thank you.

pepak

No. Only a top-ten via a sidebar plugin, but not a specific per-file count - while that value is stored, there is no easy way to access it (basically, it would require a code in the post, and that would go contrary to what SDMon is all about).

lucas

hi
why when i use this plugin (it works) but i cant list the "monitored" directory, i can download by useing direct link exampple /tmp/download1.zip but i cant list the /tmp becouse i get error: Simple Download Monitor error

Requested file tmp/ not found.

htaccess is edited, everything work well but no listing...

pepak

You could probably make this work by using a different content of .htaccess file, but I am not expert enough to tell you how to do it.

harisn

Is this plugin fully compatible with nginx web server? I'd like to use this plugin on a high-traffic website and need to make sure everything works great.

pepak

It's OK to post just to the plugin's page. In fact, it's better, because it notifies me of new posts while the forum doesn't.

As I replied there, I have no idea how compatible it is with nginx. This is the first time I have even heard about that server. If the server is compatible with Apache, SDMon should work fine.

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview