Sony PRS-700 fonts

Started by mohsen, March 31, 2010, 12:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mohsen

hello

i am  try your way to hack sony reader prs 700 to supporte arbic font . but all my try was not  working  . please can you help me  what can i do ?

thanks

pepak

First, you could have created a relevant topic rather than post to an unrelated one.

At the moment I don't have any PRS-700 hacks. I have something that might work, but it hasn't been tested at all and it is missing a rather crucial part - the original PRS-700 firmware. If you can get me an unchanged PRS-700 firmware, I will see about modifying it and then you can test my hack. A word of caution though: It is quite possible to completely and irrevocably brick a PRS-700.

Also, I am not sure about arabic support. It depends on whether the language is closer to european languages or east-asian - the eastern languages are very problematic due to the huge font size.

mohsen

ooh... sorry

my english is not very wall that is big reason

i found pdflrf win but my new proplem :d  is i have mac not windows
do you  know where i fond pdf lrf for mac

sorry agin
mohsen

pepak

Don't, DON'T try to convert PDF to LRF. I know that viewing PDF files on small-screen readers is awful, but it is still better than converting the PDF to anything else and trying to view that.

Back to the question of fonts: If you want to try out PRS-700 despite the risk of bricking your reader, e-mail me at forum at pepak.net. I will need the fonts you plan to use and, if possible, your current PRS-700 firmware (without it I will need to use the hacked russian firmware as a basis, which would work, but I don't know which changes were put into it). Then I can prepare a hack for you to try. But once again I must warn you: It may irrecoverably brick your reader!

mohsen

i think i will wait if this risk to my reader is not work agin
i read about hacked russian firmware it is work for russian and chiness font
what you think  i do it or wait

thanks
mohsen

pepak

My hack is pretty much based on the russian hack, so if that one works, my should as well. It's just that due to PRS-700's firmware layout, any fault can easily destroy all of the firmware. On PRS-505, on the other hand, the current hacks only updates one part of a firmware, so even if it gets completely broken, you still have the main code including USB support working and can reflash.

mohsen

you mean if my reader broken can i fix it with Genuine firmware

if yes ok go head
 let us do it

pepak

With PRS-505, you can. With PRS-700, it may not be possible anymore.

mohsen

Quote from: pepakso even if it gets completely broken, you still have the main code including USB support working and can reflash.

i dont anderstand this. what you mean can h ues sd card only or what ?or if it broken i wil lose every think..
can you give me Percentage of success when do this hack

thanks

mohsen

my email is rahaal_3@hotmail.com can you send your email  for contact about this hack

thanks

mohsen

pepak

I mean that with PRS-505 , the flashing code never overwrites certain core functionality of the Reader - and that remaining functionality is enough to re-flash the Reader with official firmware. With PRS-700, you overwrite the whole firmware at once. If that fails, there won't be anything left. Thus, no chance for reflash.

Percentage of success - how should I know? I have never even seen a PRS-700! As far as I know, the success rate is 0% (no successful flash) - but the failure rate is 0% as well (no destroyed reader). You should ask users who have a PRS-700, preferably on the-book.org where many people have used the russian hack which is what I use as well.

I will e-mail you later.

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview